Term 2 reflection: Chemical change

In term 2 the year 5/6 did their integrated unit on ‘Chemical Change’. So every week 2 scientists from GTAC came into Moonee Ponds Primary school to teach us about changing state, the 4 states of matter and much, much more! I enjoyed this unit very much and I believe I benefited well from it.

3 facts I learnt were:

I learnt many things but here are some of my favorites:

I learnt that the change from a gas to a liquid is called condensation. So say you just had a shower and you didn’t have the fan on so there is a lot of steam in the room. Then the steam hits the mirror and it will go from being hot to being cold. So it will turn into a liquid.

Another thing I learn’t was the interests of gas particles. Gas particles stay a fair way away from each other. They bounce of the walls and of each other when they come into contact with them. When the particles get heated up they move faster and when they get cooled down they move slower.

pressure_gasses

Another thing I learnt is that a solid can turn into a gas. That change is called sublimation.

2 understandings I now have:

I now understand that it is possible to go from a solid to a gas without going through the step of melting. I understand that that process is called sublimation. I first found sublimation quite weird and didn’t think it was possible but I found a example which explained everything: Dry Ice. Dry Ice does not melt when it is left in the sun, it turns into a gas.

sublimation

Another understanding I know have is that scientists don’t use all 5 senses in the science lab. In the science lab you look to observe somethings like : color change, size change, shape change, ect. You use your ears to hear bubbling or loud noises or nothing at all. You use hands to feel if something has gone from smooth to rough or vice-verse. And you use your nose to waft of a potion or something similar. You don’t taste anything in case there are dangerous chemicals in it or such.

1 question I still have:

I would like to know if fish would be able to survive on the moon? I would like to know this because I believe there is hydrogen in outer space and in H2O there is Hydrogen and oxygen but we all know fish can’t breathe in oxygen. So I started to wonder weather they would be able to live in outer space and I would like to find out in the future.

fish on the moon

What were the most important things I learnt were:

I think the most important things I learnt were the names of the changing state processes.(Melting, Freezing, Evaporation, Condensation and Sublimation) I believe these will help me throughout life so I can explain the changes of state I observe. This will help me in my P.O.E charts so I can have a good explanation at the end.

How did I learn it: 

I learnt them  by listening to the scientists from GTAC explain it to me and to see how they all worked. I found out that when you make pop-corn the kernel evaporates because the inside of the kernel is water. So when the kernel gets hot the water inside starts to boil until finally there is so much gas inside the kernel that it has to pop.

popcorn-kernels-524096

What am I going to do with what I learnt:

I am going to use this information in the future because I dream of becoming a scientist for GTAC. This is a dream because I quite enjoyed our science unit and would like to do more of it in the future.

Special thanks to:

I would like to say thanks to GTAC for sending us Maria, Jacinta and Chris to teach us about the 4 states of matter and changing state.

G-TAC

If you would like to visit GTAC’S site here is the link:

http://www.gtac.edu.au/site/home.html

One thought on “Term 2 reflection: Chemical change

1. Dear India
    Maria and I were just reading your blog posts. Wow! We are so impressed with all of the information that you have shared.

We hope that you will come and spend time with us again at GTAC one day. Perhaps for work experience. We’re looking forward to talking to you about your question about fish on the moon in detail.

Keep the great science questions coming.